Monday, September 9, 2013

Aloe and Army

The Army lifestyle is still so new to me. I am learning more and more about myself as I discover more about the Army and have "firsts" as an Army wife. There have been several firsts so far, and there are many to come! I made my first out-of-state move. We went to our first brigade ball together. We experienced field training exercises (FTX) for the first time as a married couple. We have had staff duty dates, and I went to my first ceremony for him. I made my first military spouse friend AS a military spouse.

When Chris and I first got married, we only had one vehicle. That meant I was 'stranded' at the house most days. When Chris' platoon sergeant's wife heard I was at the house alone (and newly married and in a brand new state) without a vehicle, she quickly found me on Facebook and messaged me. She decided she would welcome me to the Army by coming to my rescue. Brooke knew little to nothing about me, my interests, my heart...but she cared about me, because, like her, I am an Army wife. I went with her on her grocery errands, then we went to lunch together with her almost three year old. Did I mention Chris and I had just gotten married? Well, we had. But, what we hadn't done yet was get me a debit card. I had NO money to pay for lunch. She ended up picking up two T(t)abs that day....oops!

Not only was Brooke the first person to make me feel welcome here, she was also the first Army friend I have had PCS on me. She is now back down in the lower 48, and I'm somewhat jealous of that. While she and I did not have every little thing in common, she taught me a lot about being a wife, a mother, and a supporter of the US Army. We also didn't hang out or get to know each other as much as I would have liked to. Those few months really crept up on us, but I am so far beyond grateful for her friendship. A few days before she left, I went to her house to say goodbye. There were boxes everywhere, and it all became so real. This is what it's like every three years or so in this lifestyle--they give you some papers and pack up all your stuff. She gave me some items the movers couldn't pack, and, with a hug, smile, and some last-minute marriage advice, that was that.



She gave us her aloe plant. It sounds stupid, but that plant represents a lot to me. It represents growing friendship. It represents reaching out to someone you don't even know. When you have a hurt, you can tear a piece off the plant and rub it on a cut or burn, and that reminds me that the relationships I have and will make in the Army will always be beneficial regardless of the pain. It also reminds me that I have been given a gift, and that I can pass that down to the next lonely, new Army wife, and I cannot help but wonder who I will leave the same aloe plant with two years from now.

God has us just where we are for a reason. Nothing is a mistake. Make memories. Reach out to people. Look through their eyes and into their hearts. Use this opportunity while you have it, because you may not have it long. Realize your blessings and be grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment