Friday, August 23, 2013

In the past 5 years...

I cannot believe that tomorrow (24 August 2013) will be five years since my mom went Home. Five years! I still remember promising her that I would be holding her hand walking her straight up to Heaven's gates when the time came. I still remember keeping that promise. I was at her bedside on her right, Jeff on her left, and Dad at her feet. The room was filled with the faces of angels--our family and friends from church literally singing praises all around us as her spirit took flight out of this world. I remember going numb. I had a couple days to prepare for it, but nothing can prepare you for losing your mother, best friend, role model. I remember running through the crowd of people in her room as my heart began to swell up in my throat. I flung the door open, darted down the hallway, and found a spot on the wall to slide down--just in time for the tears to flood out.

SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED SINCE THAT MOMENT.

I graduated college.
Kennesaw State University B.S. in Psychology
A couple times.
Columbus State University M.Ed in School Counseling
I counseled children.
I tried new things.
I made stupid decisions.
I gained and lost friends.
I ate a lot of Thai food.
I got 2 new tattoos.
I started doing yoga
and I've been to lots of Braves games

I got engaged.
Crouch N Crase Photography




And married.

I moved to Alaska. Can you believe that?!

We got to have a real wedding!

We honeymooned in Jamaica.
snorkeling

As you can see, so, so much has happened and changed in your little girl's life since you've been gone. You gave me life on this earth, but the One who has given us eternal life is all around and is living inside me. Thank you for your example of how to live every day to its fullest. Thank you for your silly sayings. I find myself getting more and more like you. I am excellent at finding bargains, and I know you would be proud. I've become a good cook--at least that's what Chris says. Mom--you would love him! He is so patient and kind and hard-working. He is adventurous. You two would have really hit it off. You two never met each other, but he knows you through the stories I tell and through my heart. Even he misses you, and it breaks my heart. He wishes he could have met you. Dad and Jeff are doing well. I think they wish I were closer to home, even though Jeff would never say so. You would be so amazed at how much Dad has broken out of his shell. He is like a whole new man, and God has really impacted others through their interaction with him. It's still hard to talk to him about girl things, but I have been given an excellent mother-in-law and two sister-in-laws. They are great! I miss you. I think about you every day.

All these things that have happened since you've been gone....at one point, I felt like they could never happen--like you were supposed to be there for all of them or else they couldn't happen (except the honeymoon. that would be super weird!). But, they did happen, and so will the next big adventures. Life doesn't have to stop because you're gone, and it hasn't. I know there are more times to come that I will feel like you have to be there for, but God gives us just what we need to get by and then some. He continues to comfort me through the years, and He has blessed me tremendously. We miss you so much and cannot wait to worship Him forever with you, but we will enjoy living this life every day until we get there. Thank you for the example you set of a Christian wife, mother, and friend. Oh, and we're going out shopping for deals and eating Italian tomorrow in your memory!

I am forever your Punkin Doodle.
I love you, Mom.


2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful Tabitha! I know your mom was an amazing person because of the person you are. I love reading your blog, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ONE comment, on this beautiful post? I have to add another! What an amazing tribute to your mother. Like Chris, I sure wish I could have met her.. but I'm glad to know her through you! :)

    ReplyDelete