Friday, August 9, 2013

looking forward to

My friend, Elisa, and I thought it would be fun to start a blog challenge. This challenge consists of determining topics we would like to write about, writing about them, and comparing our similarities, differences, and different perspectives or interpretations of that topic. I'm very excited about this, because I will be learning more about the heart and mind of my dear friend as this challenge unfolds. 

Ok, I won't delay any longer. The first topic is "something you are looking forward to", and, without hesitation, I knew what I would want to write about. As I thought more about it over the past day or so, I thought it may be wise to change my "what I'm looking forward to", because I didn't want people giving me a hard time or putting their opinion out there, but--whatever. This is something that is special to me, and it has been for as long as I can remember. Fiiiine. I'll say it...geesh! I'm looking forward to starting a family. 



Chris and I did just get married, and we are very much still getting to know each other. We are finding new things every day that we admire and respect about each other, and we also, occasionally, find things about each other (and ourselves!) that require more work and patience. I'm not going to get into family planning here. That is between me and him, but it is also entirely based on God's perfect timing and plan for our future and for our family. 

When I was a little girl, I was given a babydoll. Her name was Courtney, and she went everywhere with me. I dragged her around by her arms and legs, and she had several emergency surgeries to re-attach her limbs (thanks, Mom!). She has been chewed on by dogs, has had her head frozen, has had food shoved into her mouth. Needless to say, I pray I'm nothing like the mom I was when I was 3 years old! But, nurturing....that's what women are born with. We want to love and care for, and we want to be loved in return. We want to know we are important, and we want to feel needed. When my brother was born, I was practically glued to my mom's side "helping" her with everything. I'm sure I was just getting in the way, but I was very proud of my earned nickname "Mommy #2". 

There are so many reasons I look forward to being a mother, and I know it is a TON of responsibility, but...wow. I mean. Just wow. There is so much beauty in a family who is seeking Christ and seeking to demonstrate the goodness of Christ to their children. There are so many things I look forward to with my future family. I look forward to reading bedtime stories. I look forward to hearing them laugh. I look forward to making homemade lemonade in the summers and peeking out the window to watch my husband wrestling with them in the yard. I look forward to developing family traditions, and also to passing down existing ones. I look forward to all of this and so much more. 

One of the main reasons I look forward to being a mom sounds really simple. I look forward to being a mom because it means my husband has become a father. I know that is something he very much desires, and I cannot wait (well, I can wait...it's just an expression) to bring him that joy. You should see the look in his eyes when he plays with our nieces and nephews. It's amazing, and I will get to see that look every day he is home with us. He will teach them so many amazing qualities without even knowing it, because they will be watching him and learning from one of the best. He will make ridiculous faces at them, and he will sing them silly songs. He will show them what it means to love a woman and how a woman should be treated. 

God knows the plan for our family, and His plan is good and will be made known at the exactly the right time. In the mean time, we will work on being a better uncle and aunt to six pretty stellar kiddos who live wayyy too far away, and we will repeat the funny things they say to us months later just to get a good laugh. Those kids are awesome, but we don't have to change diapers, and we can give them back when they cry, which is a pretty sweet deal for now, if you ask me! 
        Billy: "Ohhh....I saw that!"
        Logan: "Billy, when you get a girlfriend, you'll kiss her, too. It's not a big deal!"
        Alivia: "Uncle Chris wants to marry you--that's the secret."
        Caitlin: "I thought the whole Army got into a spaceship to go to Alaska."
        Shelby: "Can I visit Uncle Chris and Aunt Tabitha in Alastica?"
        Blake: [insert cute baby noises and blowing us kisses]

On our wedding day with our six nephews and nieces


For my friends reading this who are on their way to becoming parents, I am so thrilled for you. What a privilege and a joy to bring a life into the world or to add to your family through adoption. I pray prayers of blessing over you, and I pray that you live in a way that demonstrates God's love to your children. I pray that you will seek Him as a family and that you see His blessings in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment