Monday, November 3, 2014

Oh, Boy

Dear Little Babe,

We had our gender and anatomy appointment about five weeks ago. We saw your stomach, bladder, every vertebra in your spine, your growing brain, and each chamber of your heart. You are fearfully and wonderfully made! Praise God for his intricate design for your life and for forming your tiny body. My favorite part of the appointment was when your dad and I saw the lenses of your eyeballs forming behind your closed eyelids. I could not help but wonder what color your eyes will be, and I cannot wait to look into them. You are absolutely amazing already. You seem to have taken after me with your yoga moves. You were so flexible and had your foot all the way up by your forehead. IMPRESSIVE! We also watched you poke yourself in the eye. It was pretty cute and hilarious. We understand that your eyes are still closed, so you couldn't see what you were doing, but it was funny, and we got a good chuckle about it. I know your hand-eye coordination will only improve, and I cannot wait to play catch with you.

By the way......we also saw your BOY PARTS. Holy cow. That really threw us off. We were expecting you to be a girl, but you are our sweet baby boy, our son. We are having a son! How crazy. Your dad and I had your name narrowed down to two different options, and we came right home to pick which one we felt was right for you. Two nights before our appointment, I had a dream that we found out you are a boy, and I started calling you Brantley Isaac without even running it by your dad. When we found out your gender, we just knew the name was right for you. Neither of us have met anyone named Brantley, which we love, because we have no positive or negative experiences related with your name and no memories of anyone else that come to mind when we say or hear your name--you are the only Brantley in our world, and we love that! We love the way Brant sounds as a shortened version of your name. Your middle name, Isaac, comes from the Old Testament. We love that it means laughter and that it is a reminder of God's fulfilled promise.

To be perfectly honest, when we found out we were having a son, I was in total shock for about three days. I even cried to Chris because I feel completely unprepared to be a mother to a little boy. I even said the words, "I've never been a boy!" while tears ran down my face. I'm certain your dad was happy to hear that, but I felt as if I have no clue how to raise you and that I would do a lousy job at it. The more I think about it, though, the happier and happier I get. I spent so much time at the ballfield as a kid, and I cannot wait to play catch with you and teach you how to swing a bat or field a bunt. Your dad is thrilled, and I already know you two are going to get yourselves into a lot of trouble with me.

We love you already, Brantley, and I am so thankful for the man who is your father. He will teach you how to be a gentleman, and he will do a great job at it.

The Friday after the appointment, our wonderful friend helped throw a gender reveal party at our house for you and our family here in Alaska. Here are a few pictures from that night.

Cupcake station, gummies, cotton candy
Pink and blue drinks with lips or mustache straws
Just a few wives tales
Pink and blue jolly rancher party favors in baby food jars
Some pictures of baby and the gender guesses







No comments:

Post a Comment